Saturday, November 27, 2010

Week 4 - GAME Plan Not Off to a Great Start

Unfortunately, my GAME plan is not proceeding as planned. This has nothing to do with the plan itself or about learning the new technology I am trying to incorporate into my classroom. The problem seems to be focused upon my commitment to the actual logistics of dedicating time towards learning how to build my intended website.

I have found the information I need regarding how to build this website, and I have established an account that allows me to begin the process. The problem I seem to be encountering involves me fully committing myself to the schedule I made at the start of this process. I will admit that I have not been following this schedule and I have failed to begin work on my website. Therefore, with this in mind, I am not going to modify my plan because I believe it is a well-intended plan and could work out marvelously; however, I will change my attitude towards the plan and make the proper commitment to myself, and this class as well, to begin and fully continue the process of becoming a self-directed learner and establish my classroom website. I am currently away for the Thanksgiving holiday, but upon my return to home tomorrow morning, I will work for at least one to two hours to learning methods on how to build my website. I understand that I should commit more time to this plan, but I want to make my start realistic and then from that point on, I will continue with the timetable I initially laid out at the beginning of the process.

If new questions arise, I will reach out to my fellow students at Walden University to help guide me through my process, but at this point I simply need to dedicate myself towards my GAME process and begin to utilize the new technology I have chosen for this project. I know once my website is established and running its uses could be limitless for all of my students.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dustin

    I'm sure that your plans will come together. You have a good plan in place, so start small and do what you can and eventually it will all start moving at a better pace. I think having good time management skills is an art! If you think about it, you may not have the website in place, but you are still following the GAME plan by monitoring yourself and "both self-monitoring and self-evaluation are considered essential components of self-directed learning" (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 11).

    Good luck with getting your website up and going!

    Krista
    6th grade
    sci, soc stud, lit

    Reference

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dustin,

    I really like how you are honest. You made me think about my own commitment to my GAME plan. I think that I could be devoting a lot more time to mine too. I just know that I need to start off with small goals and work myself to my larger goal. Your website will come in time, and you will see all of the benefits. I commend you for attempting the website. Think about how many teachers would not even think about it. There are so many teachers in this course that will be able to give you ideas and help you with your GAME plan. I love how I am able to communicate with teachers that are outside of my city and state. What a great opportunity to have that resource, so creating your website would be a good idea to do now. Good luck!

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I am sure the plan will come together, I just wanted to be honest about my progress because I think it is important to know what our weaknesses are, and mine is making the commitment to the time involved with the project.

    Thanks for your support, and I will give out more details about my progress in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dustin!

    You had sent a link to Connie about communicating with classrooms in other countries. I was wondering if you have ever heard of Global Schoolnet? I'm wondering if it's a good site to use or not.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete